Frequently Asked Questions
Why is a new home better than buying a used one?
Here are 10 good reasons a new custom home in Lubbock is better than buying used.
1. It’s brand new. When you build a new home, everything is just that – new! So the odds of you needing to make any repairs within the first few years are slim to none. This gives you a longer time to settle in and enjoy your home without having to worry about making repairs.
2. Customize your home. It’s not always easy to find exactly what you want in an existing house. If you choose to build your own new custom home, you’ll have total control over the design of your home. You get to customize the floorplan in a way that makes sense to you and your family. And you can add those little extras that make you happy — say hello to your very own gourmet kitchen. From selecting your floor plan to incorporating smart home construction in your home, Toogood Built Homes works with you every step of the way!
3. Avoid the bidding war. When the market is hot, homes can sell quickly, making the home-buying competition fierce. Depending on your area, finding a home that has the features you want can be very difficult and frustrating. And then, when you do find it, you might end up on the losing side of a bidding war. But when you build, you never have to worry about outbidding other buyers or the stress that comes from home shopping. You’ve already solved this problem and get to focus on the details.
4. Really move-in ready. Even the most move-in ready house may still have a couple things you want to change, even if it’s just the color of the walls. But when you build a new custom home, it’s exactly how you want it, from the flooring to the cupboard hardware. This means you can sit back and start enjoying your home from day one. In fact, you’re ready to have that big housewarming party!
5. Better technology. Smart homes are becoming more and more common as people get used to the convenience and added safety it can provide. Even if the home you build isn’t packed with tech from the get-go, it is often tech-ready. This means everything from security measures to electric gadgets — your new home could be a smart home in no time! In addition to all the benefits you get from smart home construction of your home, you may also earn a discount on your homeowners insurance, just for being a trendsetting techie.
6. Energy efficient- When you care about being energy efficient, you can make a big difference by shaping the way your home is built. You get to focus on bringing top of the line technology and energy savings into your home. And you get to do so in a customized way that focuses on what means the most to you. Whether you love solar panels or want to focus on conserving water, with a custom built home you get those options.
7. On top of the trends- New homes come with modern trends and cutting edge style. Forget about renovating that outdated bathroom, when you build your own home you get to pick the style you want, down to the smallest details. Your home is magazine-glamorous from day one.
8. Current on codes- Building codes do change over time, always with an eye on protecting the residents, the neighborhood or the environment. Quite often the changes incorporate new and safer technology. With a new home you know you’re up to code and nothing has been grandfathered in. Best of all, no expensive updates are required!
9. Cost efficient- While it typically costs more in the beginning to build a home, you may actually recoup those expenses pretty quickly and see a bigger payoff in the long run. When you build there are no costly repairs for appliances, updates or remodeling. Most homes are built in newer neighborhoods that are very desirable. Add to that the annual savings you’ll realize with newer, more efficient appliances and construction techniques, and you’ve got some real financial benefits.
10. The feeling- Don’t forget the emotional aspect of building your own home. There’s nothing quite like knowing that it’s all yours and no one has lived there before. You get to start fresh and feel like everything in the home has your stamp on it. And it’s all been customized, just for you.
How do I even get started?
Call us or fill out one of our contact forms for an appointment, and we will be happy to answer all of your questions and walk you through the process.
How long does a new home take?
Many factors contribute to the building time, and one of the biggest factors is you. How fast you are with selection and design decisions and how responsive you are to communication factors heavily in this process. Depending on the size of the home and complexity a home should take 6-10 months to complete.
How much is your price per square foot?
This is a very arbitrary number that is very dependent on many things. Price per square foot can change drastically based on the design of the home and the finishes you want to incorporate. Do you want Quartz countertops? Wood floors? Wallpaper? A pool? What level of fixtures? Etc. Visit with us about your hopes and dreams for your home and we can guide you the best options for your budget.
How does financing work?
Every financial situation is quite different. Typically, you would apply for and receive a construction loan that would be rolled into a mortgage once the home is complete. On occasion, for well qualified customers, we can provide some financing. A preliminary conversation with your bank, and with us, can clarify this and get you some options based on your unique financial situation.
Do you have floor plans to choose from?
Most situations start with our architect who will help you design a unique home that fits your needs. However, we do have a pool of tried and true plans that you can use to start your plan.
What does your warranty cover?
We offer an industry standard “1-2-10” warranty. This covers workmanship for a year, mechanical systems for 2 years and structure for 10 years.
Do you help with interior design?
We have a couple amazing interior designers that can help you with as much or as little of the design process that you need. These ladies can walk you through materials selection, paint colors, and lighting, plumbing and appliance fixtures. They are here to walk you through all the aesthetics of your home and ensure you have a place that is as beautiful as it is functional.
What level of involvement is required of me?
This depends entirely on you. We have had clients that have been completely hands off, and we have had clients who wanted to be intimately involved in the whole process. Simply let us know the things that are important to you, and we can work with whatever involvement level you desire.